Tuesday, February 15, 2011

freedom riders

I learned many interesting facts about the freedom riders that I did not know about them before.  The A&E movie “Freedom Riders” taught me that what the freedom riders was doing not only affected the southern states, but the whole country.  They did this by showing the other countries, through the press that racism was really getting physical in the south after the bombing of their bus in Anniston. I also learned that many of the Freedom Riders gave up their education to ride on the buses into the southern states. As you can see I learned that the Freedom Riders had a big impact on history.
While listening to the Freedom Riders at the Youth Town Hall I learned what it means to be a pacifist. By listening to John Lewis and the Freedom Riders talk about how they were treated in the south, it showed me that they were determined to test the Boynton v. Virginia court decision. This court decision integrated interstate bus and rail stations. I also learned that it takes perseverance to accomplish a goal. This was illustrated when the Freedom Riders was constantly harassed, but still managed to complete the freedom ride.
In learning about the Freedom Riders they taught me many things that I can apply to my life today. In my life today I can apply the belief that a small group of African Americans can make a difference in history. The freedom Riders also showed me that two wrongs don’t make a right. Even thou they were getting harassed and physically beaten everywhere they went, they still practiced non-violence. When I was at the youth summit I really connected with John Lewis. I connected with him because he said that in the mist of all the racism, he still forgave everyone that hurt him during the Freedom Ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment